Below are some tips if you are embarking on your spiritual journey:
1. Spend time in nature. Even just a walk around your neighbourhood, noticing the wildlife, trees and plants, helps strengthen your connection, not just to nature but also to the energy/spirit of the land where you are living or visiting.
2. Create an altar and peaceful space. Make it personal. It can contain any objects or pictures that are relevant to you and your own take on spirituality : Religious objects, gifts from nature, candles, incense, photos of loved ones or idols, totems, mandalas, etc. Anything that feels important, beautiful or sacred to you. Review it and change it as you feel fit. It should be dynamic and reflect your own personal spiritual journey.
3. Take time out of your schedule to meditate. There are many youtube videos that can help if you are new to this. You may wish to try shamanic journeying. Again there are youtube videos on this subject. Using a rattle or drum and a mindfold may be helpful. (http://mindfold.com/).
4. Give thanks. Find things to be thankful for, even small things; another day, fresh air, food, water, your health, shelter, friends, family. Gratitude is powerfully humbling.
5. Keep a journal. Noting your thoughts and experiences pertinent to your journey can act as way markers in the future, when you look back at the path you have taken and see just how far you have come. It is also a good place to record the many new tools and techniques you will learn.
6. Often one’s own spiritual journey can be solitary, as we must ultimately deal with things alone, but do not forget to connect with others and foster empathy. We learn much from each other.
7. You are what you eat. Try to move to a more wholesome diet and reduce or eliminate alcohol intake.
8. Exercise your body consciously to provide suppleness, strength and stamina.
9. Practice mindfullness. Be present. Take notice of what is happening around you. Is the universe or mother nature trying to tell you something? What are the signs or “conicidences”?
10. Accept you do not know everything. No one does. Accept that there is something more and that science does not have all the answers. Personally I belive in science but scientific explanations will always be a subset of “what is”. However, do not be fooled by conjecture, unfounded ideas, or egotistical persuasions. Discover your own truth. It is different for each one of us.
…and remember it is, of course, about the journey and not the destination 🙂